Tuesday, October 30, 2012

New York City's Post-Superstorm Sandy Nightmare

Boy, oh, boy, I continue to recognize just how fortunate I am in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy's impact on New York City. First, I'm home, safe, dry and I have electricity. My doggies are by my side. I have enough food to last through, uh, 2012. But across the East River, it's a horror story...

All seven subway tunnels under the East River have massive flooding, and MTA is saying it'll be a minimum of four days before any modicum of service has a prayer of a chance of restoration, with many areas taking up to a week. So long, perishables.

Flood waters, meanwhile, reached an unprecedented 13 feet Monday night in Battery Park, literally burying the Battery Park Tunnel... not flooded, but literally submerged by water. In low-lying areas, cars were swallowed by water... on Eighth Avenue in Chelsea, the facade of an entire apartment building was literally blown off...

It's a damn good thing I have no intention of getting out of Brooklyn anytime soon. Cause I'm not. *



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!