Saturday, May 1, 2010

Encore! Nicole Henry At Metropolitan Room

The first time you experience the music of Nicole Henry, it's love at first sight. From then on, it's an affair to last a lifetime. With Leonard in town last weekend, I was thrilled to introduce him to this spectacular talent, whom I first saw in February, at Metropolitan Room in Chelsea.

Last month, Henry won a prestigious Bistro Award from Backstage magazine, as New York's Outstanding Jazz Vocalist. Again, last Friday, April 23, she wowed the crowd with her vocal finesse, ease and charm, and stunning beauty. Another night to remember.Below, with my buddy Sherry Eaker, former editor in chief of Backstage, whom I adored for more than a decade during my tenure at (sister pub) Billboard.And another bonus: meeting Phil Galdston (below, 3 from L) and Garth Fundis (L) at the show. Galdston wrote some of Celine Dion's most beautiful ballads, including "The Last To Know" (also recorded by Sheena Easton), "Love Doesn't Ask Why," "If That's What It Takes" and "I Don't Know," as well as "Save the Best for Last" for Vanessa Williams, and many others. And get this: He's now working with my sweetness Tinatin. Small world, indeed. Fundis is, of course, one of country music's most celebrated record producers.Below, Nicole Henry's staggeringly beautiful reading of "I Can't Make You Love Me."(PHOTOS & VIDEO: THE SMOKING NUN)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!