Saturday, November 3, 2012

At Long Long (Long) Last... Election Night Tuesday

I've never been much of a newshound, instead combing the headlines online like most of us... that is, until this Presidential election has persistently (and inexplicably) become closer and closer between our Commander in Chief, President Barack Obama and his flip-flopping foe Mitt-Wit Romney.

For the past couple months, I have Tivo'd Anderson Cooper's 360 on CNN every single night, as well as Rachel Maddow on MSNBC and then back to CNN for Piers Morgan... watching obsessively as the truth continues to be revealed that the Republican candidate leans toward whatever the polls drive him to say in a given week... or whatever the given state he's visiting stands for. That is, of course, except for social issues, where his point of view is clear: women and gays should be second-class citizens, backing up the nation's civil rights and social agenda a good 40+ years.

I gather that in the coming week, I'm likely to remain sequestered in Brooklyn as NYC subways continue to work their way back post-Hurricane Sandy (currently, there's no service between Brooklyn and Manhattan), so Friday night I began exploring options. Thankfully, there's a joint just up the street from my apartment that will be airing election results all night long... Custom House, an Irish bar that's open until 4 a.m.

I hope to god Obama adds up his 270 electoral votes long before the bitter end, but as the results come in state by state, I'll at least be amid a crowd of New Yorkers to celebrate—or commiserate—through the long haul. My pal Jimmy who works there has already reserved a table for me at 7 p.m. Tuesday. I'll be sitting tight as the first states roll in...

I'd love to think it's going to be a short, precise evening... but so many U.S. states still seem to be potentially duped by the Mitt-Wit... and god, it could be close. Or it might not. Or this nation could decide to take a frightening step decades into the past. In any case, I will fueled by plenty of gin to endure the drama.

Hopefully, I'll be skipping home... and not crawling on my knees, drowning in tears. *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!