Sunday, February 21, 2010

U.S. Census Employee: Week Three

A slower week with the U.S. Census as our office supervisor announced that in all of New York City, Brooklyn Northwest—my district—was first in completing its Group Quarters initiative. Great! So now what do we do for the next month, until the next phase of the Census begins?

For Crew Leaders such as myself, that pretty much meant that we were whored out to other departments, which is a good thing, since the alternative is not working. At all. So I spent a good part of the week working in staff recruiting, which is short some 2,600 staffers in the district. (I still don't get that: 10% unemployment and folks aren't kicking each other to get in line for these jobs?) Specifically, the task came down to two humbling activities: leaving fliers with local businesses, like coffeehouses and delis; and... ready for this?... putting job cards on the driver's side door of every single car within a given radius. A wide, long radius, throughout the Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill nabes.

By the end of the first day, my feet hurt so much that I was walking like your 95-year-old bald grandmother, sans the convenience of a cane. My boots were not made for walking. After day two, despite more appropriate shoes, forget ever walking again. Just slide my ass down the street in the snow.

I just kept repeating to myself, "Adventure, adventure, right?" and finally recognized this as an ideal photo opp in new nabes, filled with funky/stately/historic architecture... in addition to singing all day long, in my head, "There Are Worse Things I Could Do," from "Grease."Whoof!

2 comments:

  1. I worked for the Census back in 2000 & the husband just applied for a job with them last week. I don't think they're hiring here though for a couple of weeks. I met some true critters when I worked for them. Some of those Deliverance types with 1 tooth, a banjo and possibly one working brain cell.

    Be careful out there Chuck, too many weird mean folks in the world anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so sowwy I made your widdles footsies hurt!

    But at least your didn't have to deal with ms. daisy!

    I love you baby!

    Your 'sister' from another mister.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!