Wednesday, April 21, 2010

2 Cool 2 Have A Brain

Like, oh my gawd. Hipsters are sooo rad! Such clever free-thinkers. So original with their cool rebellious ideas. Like, in my 40s, it never occurred to me to show how anti-establishment I was back then. Cause this generation of 20-somethings has cornered the market on coolness. The first ever. Like, for real.

In Williamsburg, Brooklyn, the oh-so-pompous hipsters are real proud of their denouncement of mainstream tradition. No, they're not opposing war, they're not organizing against the city's billionaire mayor's upheaval of the middle class. They're not even flipping the bird to climate change.

They are way too chic for such tried-and-true ideals. Instead, they're trashing the 2010 Census. That'll show the feds who's boss! The BK nabe has a pitiful 36% return on Census questionnaires (most of NYC is at 50%, nothing to brag about), highlighted in a wonderful NPR report earlier this month, filed by reporter Robert Smith.

Interviewing 20-somethings Nate and Mike on why they didn't bother to return their questionnaire: "I guess it's laziness and like, what's the point? When it comes down to it, nobody wants to fill out, like, another form that's just, like, getting sent to your house that really relatively has nothing to do with your life. I mean, people would do it if they got, like, five bucks."

Steven Colbert also weighed in on the story, pointing to a Williamsburg band that goes by the name "I Filled Out the Census." He responded, "That is the worst band name ever."

Thank god I lived long enough to leave my 20s in the past.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect you would have great appreciation for slam poet Taylor Mali, a piece entitled "Like, you know..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNIBV87wV4

    Trust me, it's worth.. like, you know... 3 minutes of your life. ;-)

    And his "What Teachers Make" very near and dear to my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!