Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Darren Hayes

It was the quintessential journalist's worst nightmare. I was at Sony Studios in midtown interviewing Darren Hayes—and after a good 45 minutes, I discovered that the batteries on my hand-held recorder had about as much juice as a 10-year-old orange. There was simply nothing there but an undetectable blur of conversation. In one of the most gracious displays of pure professionalism I ever experienced, Darren smiled and said, "Well, I guess we're starting over." He had an engineer at the facility hook up a mic and tape and we re-recorded the entire damn interview.

The experience was horrifying and embarrassing, for sure, but Darren waved it off and we got the job done. I never forgot it. Beginning with his first hit with Savage Garden, "I Want You," in 1996, I wrote numerous columns for Billboard on the group as the hits kept coming: "To the Moon and Back," "The Animal Song" and of course, "Truly Madly Deeply" and "I Knew I Loved You." In fact, in those first couple years, I tallied that I had written more about the Aussie duo than any other act.

When Darren went solo in 2002, I maintained a relationship with him and had the opportunity to see him live countless times (also forging a friendship with his one-time background singer Anna Maria La Spina, a stunningly talented solo artist now). By the time he performed to a sold-out crowd at Joe's Pub last year, Darren had come out of the closet and married his partner Richard (pictured below).

Happy 37th birthday, Mr. Hayes. Congrats on so many accomplishments, both professionally and personally.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, I've been a fan for years and it's really good to see him happy again!
    Thanks so much!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Victor..i love Darren Hayes... his music is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!