Friday, March 9, 2012

Kirk Cameron's Homophobic Rant Draws Swift Condemnation

Child has-been Kirk Cameron's appearance last Friday March 2, with CNN's Piers Morgan—in which the radical religious extremist howled that homosexuality is "unnatural, detrimental and destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization"—isn't sitting so well with a number of public figures. Over the weekend, George Clooney, his fellow Growing Pains alumni, Jesse Tyle Gerguson and many others reacted to his homophobic rant.

Please join in the protest by signing the petition at Change.org here. In addition, GLAAD offers a "It's time for Kirk Cameron to grow up" petition here.

Apparently, he's feeling the heat. Cameron responded to the swift condemnation of his hate-filled comments by saying: “I believe freedom of speech and freedom of religion go hand-in-hand in America. I should be able to express moral views on social issues–especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years–without being accused of hate speech and told from those who preach ‘tolerance’ that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I’m in the public square."

I'm sure Barry Goldwater said the same thing when he preached in the 1960s that blacks should be kept in their place.

The New Civil Rights Movements notes, "It’s the old, 'Love the sinner, but hate the sin,' default statement, which, as Dan Savage likes to point out, is just a kinder version of 'God hates fags'.” See some choice responses to Kirkie's extremist commentary on CNN below the jump:


* Cameron's TV dad Alan Thicke: "I'll address Kirk's comments as soon as I recover from Rush Limbaugh's... I'm getting him some new books. The Old Testament simply can't be expected to explain everything."
* His TV sister Tracey Gold: "I am a strong supporter of the LGBT Community, and I believe in equal rights for all."
* George Clooney: "(Gay marriage) is becoming less and less of an issue. Younger people are looking at this like, 'Who cares?' I believe it's generational, like the civil rights movement. Young people started taking to the streets and things changed. This really is the final leg of the civil rights movement."
* Kristen Chenoweth: "Even as a young child, I thought, 'Why is being gay bad?’ So I asked my grandma, the best Christian I ever knew. She told me, 'I read the Bible like I eat fish. I take the meat that serves me well but I don't choke on the bone.'"
* Talkie Craig Ferguson: "Rush makes me ashamed to be a middle-aged white man and Kirk Cameron makes me ashamed to be a failed actor. We don't all think like that NoH8."
* Modern Family actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson: "The only unnatural thing about me being gay is that I had a crush on Kirk Cameron until about 24 hours ago. It's a very closed-minded, very homophobic view point. It's also surprising coming from someone who was probably brought up in the business among many gay people. It's just very sad."
* Smash actress Debra Messing: "I want to thank Piers Morgan for his response to what he would say to his child if (s)he came out: 'Great, as long as you're happy.'"
* Roseanne: "Kirk Cameron is an accomplice to murder with his hate speech. So is Rick Warren. Their peers are killing gays in Uganda."
* Dave Holmes: "Remember yesterday afternoon, when Kirk Cameron's views were none of our concern? Let's restore America to that golden age."
* Michael Showalter: "Idea for movie: Human Centipede 3 starring Kirk Cameron and Rush Limbaugh."
* Martha Plimpton: "The word 'equality' shows up too much in our founding documents for anyone to pretend it's not the American way."
* GLAAD: "Cameron has the right to share his views, but as a result of GLAAD's work, people of faith who support LGBT people are making sure their voices are louder. Kirk Cameron's statements are not only out of touch with the beliefs of most Americans, they contribute to a climate of hostility and falsely suggest that communities of faith are not accepting of LGBT people." *

1 comment:

  1. It's really sad to see people I grew up with be so narrow minded.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!