Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Birthday, Jude Cole

He may have scored only one top 20 hit, 1990's "Baby It's Tonight," but singer/ songwriter Jude Cole is a lifetime top 20 artist for me, with such iTunes standards as "Time for Letting Go," "House Full of Reasons," "Tell the Truth" and "Compared To Nothing."

When Jude produced a teen pop artist named Lindsay Pagano in 2001, it gave me good reason to interview my musical hero for Billboard magazine and tell him how much his music had persistently influenced me. Five years later, Jude and his pal Kiefer Sutherland (yes, that one) formed indie label Ironworks and launched artist Rocco Deluca, who performed in New York in September 2006.

When I was invited to the showcase, I asked the publicist if Jude Cole was going to be there: She paused, laughed and said, "My god, everyone else is asking if Kiefer is coming..." At last, I had the opportunity to meet Jude, gush a little and try not to bat my eyes. He's one awfully handsome fellow.

Jude, who has also worked with the likes of Jewel, Lifehouse, Travis Tritt and Billie Myers, celebrated his 50th birthday Friday.

1 comment:

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!