Saturday, August 7, 2010

Homeowner Heaven (On A Fire Escape)

Since I was a kid, I dreamed of owning my own little home—with one caveat. After growing up mowing a 3/4-acre lawn (that's me above at 16, um, not my yard), trimming around 15 trees, raking leaves and picking up twigs all fall, I never had an iota of desire for a vast green.

First home in Arlington, Va.: a townhouse, with a patch of grass about as big as a Volkswagon. First New York apartment: boy, be careful what you wish for... my fire escape hardly has room to sit with my legs crossed to see the action outside.

But I've sure enjoyed my urban garden this summer, with two pots of ivy, two planters of parsley and colorful wildflowers, which continues to flourish and offer me a cascade of green out the front window. Works for me.Below, mid-July...Toward the end of May...

1 comment:

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!