Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lynchburg: An Education

From the homes I've lived in to the schools that got me all good and learned... Our hometown tour of Lynchburg, Va., continues...Paul Munro Elementary School... less than a half-mile from home. I was able to walk to and from school every day. Kindergarten through sixth grade.Linkhorne Junior High School... My first time having to endure riding a bus to school. Torturous experience. Seventh and eighth grades. Today, Linkhorne is a Middle School, teaching 6-8.
As Lynchburg transitioned to a middle school curriculum, I had one oddball year attending Dunbar High School in downtown Lynchburg for ninth grade. It was built in 1923 as the city's "black" high school, until integration was federally mandated in the mid-1970s. Today, it serves as a middle school.
I had a blast at Dunbar, working on the school newspaper and taking the city bus home after late days—something I'd never done before. I remember being ill at ease in downtown Lynchburg, which, like many small city downtowns, was feeling a bit seedy in the late 1970s as shopping malls became the go-to destinations and the middle class stopped depending on downtown for much of anything.
E.C. Glass High School... class of 1980, 10th through senior years. There were somewhere between 350 and 400 in my graduating class. The school was founded in 1871 as Lynchburg High School. Both of my parents and my brother also graduated from Glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!