Thursday, December 4, 2008

Celine's Surprisingly Sleepy "At Seventeen"


When Celine Dion discussed her love for Janis Ian's 1975 top 3 "At Seventeen" on "CBS This Morning," explaining more or less that she was an ugly duckling as a teen-ager, I figured she was going to plump up that sad, sad song with maudlin melodrama, bringing me to a near emotional collapse. Not quite. Celine's performance of the song on CBS' "Grammy Nominations Live!" show (click on headline to see video) perhaps took understated beauty too far. I found the rendition... sleepy... Mind you, her control was a wonder to behold.

I dunno, perhaps it will grow on me; I'll certainly be playing the YouTube clip dozens of times today, cause hey, new Celine is always an event. But I'm developing a slight bald spot where I continue to scratch my head. P.S. She looked stunning... and hearing her announce the album noms for the year (at right) was fun. I kind of doubt the words "Lil Wayne" have ever come out of her mouth before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!