Friday, September 9, 2011

Dusty Memories: Teen Dream At The Mic, WWOD-AM Lynchburg, Va.

The unrestored Polaroid
I was 16 years old when I got my first dream job as a part-time DJ at country WWOD-AM in my hometown Lynchburg, Va., making minimum wage ($2.90 an hour). This is the only picola I have at the mic, taken prom night by my date Mary.

The original is a Polaroid that has faded to near-white. Thanks to digital editing, it is restored to much of its original detail.

To my left, in the stacks, is an album by The Oak Ridge Boys, who were doing their best to look like The Bee Gees.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story, I am pretty much a Country music fan(of course I dislike Toby Keith as much as I love the Dixie Chicks!) and I can only imagine how exciting it must have been to have such a job at age 16. Good for you mate! The picture is a brilliant memory, Mary Rrrrocks!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!