Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Diary Of A Layoff #13: How Demoralizing Is The Job Market? Let's Talk

Man, it's with mixed feelings that I resurrect the series of blog posts I titled Diary Of A Layoff beginning in March 2009 (last in the series was written 18 months ago). I know we usually try and have a fine if not slightly randy time on The Smoking Nun, but for the moment, pour yourself a drink and let's chat one on one.

Last Saturday, I spent three hours applying for open-position jobs—from several NYC editor gigs that match my qualifications to a tee (as I've done for 2+ years; interviews: 0), down the line to freelance, copy editing and temp writing positions... down to seasonal or part-time retail work down to bathing critters at Petland (I did request "no reptiles"). I'm actually serious. Who can afford pride at this point?

It has been two-and-a-half years since I was laid off from my beautiful 14-year dream job at Billboard magazine, and one year since my rewarding temporary position with the Census came to an end. On the bright side, I am fortunate that I have never once dipped into savings since March 2009, thanks to two unemployment claims, rewarding $405 a week, and a prudent standard of living that probably makes the average college student look like Donald Trump.

Ironically, this weekend's job hunt happened one day before 1) I received notice that I must re-qualify for New York's discounted (read: low-income) health insurance plan—which requires that you've held a taxable job in the past year (I have not) 2) two days before I discovered that unemployment benefits have reached their grand finale and 3) today's harrowing Census stats revealing that 46.2 million or nearly one in six Americans or 15.6% of the adult population now live in "poverty," the most since tracking began in 1959. In addition, those without health insurance has reached 49.9 million, a 20-year high.

Is it getting warm in here or what?

We already know that national unemployment remains locked at 9.1%, with a big fat ZERO jobs added in August 2011. With the 13.97 million officially unemployed, an additional 4.8 million are not counted, because they've stopped looking for work or lost benefits. Hey, that's me!

So on Saturday, I also spent 40 minutes filling out a hopelessly complicated online application at Macy's, where I attached my resume and answered scores of queries that made it clear I have a four-year college degree, countless years of experience dealing with the public and decades of career knowledge. And yes, I love people, smile a lot and never ever get angry.

I was hardly selective, checking boxes for *seasonal *part-time *full-time *day *night *weekend *holiday and *overnight openings—from commission sales floor positions to overnight stocking. Today I received a response from Macy's. I was informed that the company does "not have an appropriate position that matches your experience and skill set." By all means let me share (click on image to see email)...

Now then... how am I supposed to maintain hope that I will (ever) be employed again? And might I wonder aloud, at the age of 48 (you hush now, okay?)...
I am fortunate to have a skill set that is portable—words—and have been moderately successful at writing artist bios, CD liner notes and ghost writing book proposals in the past couple years to insure I have enough $$ to come out of hiding to network, connect with friends and visit my 80-something-year-old folks in Virginia. But to call it a living is a bit of an overstatement.

As a self-insured unemployed individual, I'm looking at health insurance premiums escalating from $321 a month to $700+, if I desire anything more than catastrophic care (those who believe Obama's health plan is a farce, please take note). My expenses as a New Yorker are $2,765 a month to the dollar (I'm lucky that my apartment mortgage is paid off)... so when you subtract my now-expired unemployment benefits of $1,620, that leaves me with a mighty deficit.

I am trying, believe me. But my freelance jobs total less than $6,000 for the year so far. And if Macy's says they have "no appropriate position" for me... then who does... and when?

5 comments:

  1. Pardon me using this phrase, but I do feel ya. Six years ago, the husband lost the job he'd held for nearly 30 years. Six months ago, he found out the place he was working at then was closing. Two times in less than six years...it's a blow to one's pride to say the least. Luckily, he was able to transfer to another facility, but now he works over an hour away.

    Word to the wise on the job hunt- give less details as to your qualifications. If it's say, a $10 an hour job, they don't want to fill it with someone who they feel should be worth $30/hour. Get your foot in the door somewhere, THEN show them what you're made of.

    As to the age thing, yup, you're right. They would rather pay some dipstick 20 year old the salary and get half the work out of them, than to employ a 40+ worker who'd turn out more work for the same pay. I remember applying for a little "spending money" job at the grocery store a few years back. Told them I'd have to have $10/hr to do it. I was told right quick the teens were doing the job for $7. I told the manager I could do the work of two of those youngins and he'd save $4/hr...he still wasn't interested.

    Hang in there, Chuck. They say doors never shut without others opening. Don't know that it's true, but at least it gives a little hope to hang on to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the exact same letter from Macy's a few years ago. It's maddening. I agree with Snigglefrits: downplay your education and experience. I didn't tell my current employer at a restaurant that I went to culinary school and managed, after nearly a year unemployed, to get that cherry $9/hr with no benefits job! I cling to this job for dear life, eeking by paycheck to paycheck. I am 46, and you are dead right: they don't want us mature workers.
    You are not alone.
    I'm glad you posted this - maybe someone out here in the internets has some cool work for you. You are awesome, your blog is great, and your voice is so valuable! There has GOT to be work for you!

    P.S. I voted for NYC Vintage images in your poll - LOVE it!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck, I have a totally different set of circumstances and a job but I am one of the 1 in 6. It sucks! I so hope you can find something, anything and eventually get back to something that is a passion. Just wanted you to know, I'm sorry for your situation! Best of luck and will add you to the growing prayer list of my frineds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just speechless. I shook my had throughout this whole entry because I am just amazed that someone with your experience has not been able to get another job -- whether it be at a label, PR firm, AP... Rolling Stone... I am just so saddened by this. I was not even aware that Billboard was laying off -- it's been literally decades since I worked there, but this is ridiculous. I am so sorry to hear this and shame on Macy's for being so short-sighted.

    My thoughts are with you, Chuck. I'm glad you resurrected this blog. I think a lot of people need to read and learn from your first-hand experience.

    A couple of suggestions:
    Have you thought of moving out of NYC and leasing your apt? I hear that Texas has people moving there and becoming gainfully employed in droves...

    Second, have you thought about writing a book. Self-publish on Amazon... It might just be some way for you to turn this lemon stand into lemon aide. There was a woman who worked in the Dot coms and was laid off after 9/11 and she turned her experiences being unemployed and wit into a lucrative writing career... and she was not even a writer by trade.

    Just some suggestions... You never know where lightning will strike for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One way of doing so is to know exactly what you want from your policy. It is foolhardy people who do not have medical insurance, motor vehicle documents.

    payment protection insurance

    ReplyDelete

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!