Monday, January 19, 2009

Media Overkill

Yes, it was a miracle when USAir flight 1549 made a safe landing in the Hudson River last week and no one was killed. A riveting news story. Yep, pilot Sully is a true-blue hero. Cool that he has been invited to the Obama inauguration.

The one truly entrepreneurial story I found, on Consumerist.com, asked, "What happens to the baggage after a crash?" explaining USAir's typical policies. Fabulously interesting stuff.

So now, can we please move on? Since the event, we have been dealt every single minutia that is not news. "I sent a text to my wife and said 'were goin 2 crash.'" Wow! Fifty auto-cam video angles from the Hudson revealing a blurry split-second streak. Every blog in the world "reporting" as if they are a news source. Interviews with 5,000 pilots: "That Sully is real smart."

The passengers are alive. It's a blessing. Now so many details about a plane that landed in the river are being run into the ground. Enough.

1 comment:

  1. Spoken like a true jaded New Yorker. I was holding a Web Conference with some of my staff on the other side of the country when the news came in. I checked the internets real quick to see if anyone died or if the damage was catastrophic. Once I assessed the situation and there was no need for me to initiate my power as our floor's Fire Warden, I went on with my presentation.

    The folks on the phone in the WebEx were stunned at my blase attitude and asked, "You're not freaking out?" I calmly replied, "Planes fall out of the sky here." and continued on with my presentation.

    -DD

    ReplyDelete

Please note that because of Spam, comments are now approved by The Smoking Nun, within a day of posting. Please feel free to smoke here all you want!